If you thought I was a psycho for letting my outfit determine my attitude, then you were sorely mistaken. My hair has the ultimate power to dictate how I feel. This might not make sense to the readers who have naturally straight hair. Yes, I envy you, not just because it is a simple style that takes little effort, but because it is predictable. You will wake up in the morning and brush your hair and move on. That is not the case with curly hair. Most mornings I wake up with an afro and ruthless tangles, no not tangles, knots
This hair do typically means I will need to jump in the shower and leave the house with wet hair, unless I have a couple hours to spare. Some days I wake up to see a beach bum staring back at me in the mirror. Waking up with this do in California is a great start to my day. Meanwhile, in Texas… not so much. My hair doesn’t typically dry into pageant hair, sorry TCU. These beachy waves don’t quite make the cut in the humid Texan air.
A Texas morning goes something like this:
8:00am- Wake Up Call
8:30am- Dare to Look at Myself in the Mirror
8:33am- Construct a Game Plan
8:40am- Execute Plan
10:30am- Hair is Ready to go
Can you see how hair dictates my mood and attitude for generally the rest of the day? Waking up on a good hair day means a smooth sailing day and I feel like I am ready to conquer the world. I don’t need to explain my loose temper on the bad hair days. Here are a couple of tips for those followers who also struggle with this daily battle.
Curly Hair Basics
- DO NOT BRUSH DRY CURLY HAIR.
- You’re hair looks longer when it is straight.
- Straightening your hair won’t make it grow longer.
- Avoid dying your hair brown (if blonde, or vice versa).
- Be careful when falling asleep with wet hair.
- It takes a good hour to straighten your hair without bumps or kinks, don’t take the short cut. It looks unpolished and juvenile.
- Learn how to fix your curls with a curling iron. It is an easy touch up.
- Embrace those curls, girl. They suit you.
- Don’t envy those silky locks too much. Remember that texture hair couldn’t even hold a curl even if it tried.
- Sometimes a ponytail or a bun is the only way to get through the day.